Review based on a national syndicated rating report for the week ending July 26, 2020.
Undaunted by low summer viewing levels and numerous preemptions for coronavirus coverage Judge Judy (5.7 live plus same day national Nielsen rating, up 2% from the week before) and Hot Bench (nine-week high 2.1, up 5%) easily outperformed all of syndication’s daytime shows for the seventh straight week in the session ending July 26.
Despite both shows being in reruns on all five days, “Judy” saw its audience swell by 214,000 to more than 8.0-million viewers each day and jumped 5% in the key W25-54 demo while clocking its second highest rating in two months. Meanwhile “Bench” scored its best household number since the week ending May 24, shooting up 11% from last year at this time.
Elsewhere in daytime Dr. Phil (1.8, steady) topped the talkers for the sixth week in a row.
Live with Kelly and Ryan (1.6, steady) was not far behind. In addition, weekly auds for “Live” are expected to surge in the next ratings report when results of its emotional tribute to late co-host Regis Philbin are counted. Metered market overnights for the July 27 tribute to the beloved Philbin were up 44% week to week.
Maury (1.1, unchanged) moved into sole possession of third place among gabfests.
Ellen DeGeneres (new all-time low 1.0, down 9%) tumbled into a tie with Steve Wilkos (1.0, up 11%).
Turning to programs in access time periods, game show leader Family Feud (5.7, down 2%) lost a little ground but tied daytime ratings gold standard “Judge Judy” for the overall syndication lead. Wheel of Fortune (4.8, down 4%) and Jeopardy (new season low 4.7, down 6%) also headed south.