Magid is disrupting our own industry with our approach to data gathering, analysis and analytical tool-building. Do you know the nitty-gritty of how to use data to make a case? If so, we need you to be a part of it! EmotionalDNATM discarded old assumptions about what market research can and cannot do, and now we’re providing data-driven guidance for the critical issues facing our clients. EmotionalDNATM is applicable whenever people care about what they consume–and that covers a lot of territory! Currently we have a heavy, but not exclusive concentration in entertainment, and we are building out other areas with high potential.
A LITTLE ABOUT YOU
- Topic in the realm of psychology, sociology, economics, political science, cultural studies and entertainment intrigue you.
- You enjoy finding insights by combining subject matter expertise with quantitative insights.
- You don’t necessarily have every skill or experience mentioned in this job description, but you have a lot of them and are eager to get experience in the ones you don’t have.
- You want to take initiative and you want to work collaboratively as part of a team.
THE PERSON IN THIS POSITION
- Works directly with senior research staff
- Is not into “mindless number crunching.” Every analysis needs to be thoughtful, and every analysis could potentially inform the direction of the EmotionalDNATM suite of capabilities and offerings
- Is involved in creating tools that enable researchers (internal and external) to do more and do better with our very rich data sets
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL ALSO INCLUDE
- Learning enough about EmotionalDNATM to make independent, creative contributions to analysis and tools
- Absorb the analytical and/or app development load from senior team members
- Designing and implementing newly identified capabilities for our apps
- Customizing and deploying our apps in new areas of study
- Contributing to our data pipeline architecture
- Supporting research projects and their analyses as needed
- Routine analytical requests
- Custom-requests that are one-off from standard computations
- Create reporting capabilities that enable others to do more, faster (for example with RMarkdown, Shiny dashboards, etc.)
- Deploying reproducible reporting both for EmotionalDNATM and for other areas of Magid where it makes sense
- Building/maintaining/updating/documenting Magid’s R packages
- Participation in regular code review
- R programming (not solely analytical) experience (Minimum 2 years)
- Applied quantitative reporting/analysis, not necessarily in R: 5 years
- Understanding of basic database query syntax
- Understanding of and comfort with basic statistics, regression techniques, etc.
- Visualization experience, preferably including R/ggplot
- Familiarity with messy, human-generated data and the patience to deal with it
NICE TO HAVES (BUT NOT HARD REQUIREMENTS)
- Machine learning, such as Random Forests, Dimension Reduction, etc.
- Social programming experience (e.g. git), RMarkdown/knitr/reproducible reporting/dplyr
- Entertainment research experience
- Experience creating shiny applications
- You’ve written an R package (not necessarily publicly available)
- Masters degree required, with relevant experience. Ph.D. strongly preferred.
This position is based in New York.
WORKING CONDITIONS OR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Send letter of application and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Magid has a long legacy of helping thousands of global brands in over 40 countries become an essential part of people’s lives. Standing on 60 years of industry-defining service, we’re grounded by a rare combination of tailor-made research, a deep understanding of human behavior and operational expertise. Our relentless focus on bringing all three elements to every engagement is what drives the actionable recommendations we deliver—and helps transform businesses. We offer competitive compensation, medical, dental, long and short term disability, 401k and more.
Frank N. Magid Associates, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Frank N. Magid Associates, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.