The Senior Qualitative Analyst moderates and conducts a variety of qualitative methods (specifically focus groups, one-on-ones, and ethnographies) with a wide range of consumers. He/she analyzes and synthesizes the findings to ultimately provide clients with actionable insights to address critical business issues. Along with exceptional execution of research projects, the senior qualitative analyst becomes a highly valued partner to clients, providing the critical thinking and points of view to help guide client strategy. This role will focus on our CPG and retail clients.
The Senior Analyst will moderate, lead, and manage all aspects of an assigned qualitative project including screener development, guide design, moderation, analysis, reporting, recommendations, and client presentation. He/she must have the sophistication, client skills, management skills, and advanced research skills to oversee and execute large scale and/or complex client projects independently without supervision.
The Senior Qualitative Analyst’s work will focus on executing larger and/or more complex qualitative research projects, which may or may not include:
- Moderating in-person focus groups, one-on-ones, ethnographies, shop-alongs, intercepts, etc.
- Moderating online communities, online focus groups (text or web-cam), online interviews, etc.
- Conducting phone interviews with consumers
- Executing projects in their entirety including client kick-off meeting, screener development, discussion guide design and development, moderation of in-field qualitative method, analysis, report development, recommendations, and client presentation
- Managing clients through the research process, including proactive communications and updates
- Developing research deliverables, including analysis of qualitative consumer input (focus group discussions, ethnographies, interviews, etc.) and development of client recommendations that address business implications
- Managing Research Associates on client projects; potentially having Research Associates as direct reports to manage and develop
- Provide valuable point of view and consultative guidance to clients beyond just the research analysis
- Providing research design input and consultation to support business development efforts of the senior team
- Managing research partners and vendors throughout project execution
- Advising peers and assisting with ad hoc requests as appropriate
- Minimum of 5 years of experience executing qualitative research engagements for clients or on the client side; international experience a plus
- Moderation of multiple methodologies, with extensive experience moderating focus groups
- Experience in CPG and/or Retail qualitative research
- College bachelor’s degree required; degree in social sciences, marketing, communications or related field desired
- Advanced degree in social sciences or related field a plus (MA, MS, PhD)
- Excellent communicator
- Experienced and skilled moderator (please evidence this experience, skill, and any relevant training)
- Research analysis expertise of a seasoned analyst but the ‘big picture’ thinking of a strategist in order to distill complex data into meaningful recommendations
- Very confident and comfortable in articulating a point of view and making in-person presentations
- Ability to provide consultative guidance based on client’s business objectives beyond the data analysis
- Sophistication and professional composure necessary to interact with senior level clients
- Ability to mentor, manage, and develop analysts as direct reports or as part of a project team
- Strong writing skills
- Highly organized
- Ability to react and improvise quickly as is necessary in consumer-based qualitative research
- Creative self-starter who can accomplish tasks without guidance
- Conscientious researcher with an acute attention to detail, but able to execute projects efficiently
- Accustomed to managing heavy workloads and multiple projects on tight deadlines
- Ability to create powerful PowerPoint deliverables using data visualization, headlines, and stories
- Strong experience with a variety of in-person and online qualitative methodologies, including more advanced qualitative methodologies
- Interpersonal Skills:
- Strong leader who can oversee large, complex projects and potentially manage a team of other Analysts
- Entrepreneurial and independent but also works well on a team
- Works well collaborating with senior leadership to manage client relationships
Working Conditions or Physical Requirements:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Ability to travel (45-60%) and with minimal notice
Send letter of application and resume to: email@example.com
Magid has a long legacy of helping thousands of global brands in over 40 countries become an essential part of people’s lives. Standing on 60 years of industry-defining service, we’re grounded by a rare combination of tailor-made research, a deep understanding of human behavior and operational expertise. Our relentless focus on bringing all three elements to every engagement is what drives the actionable recommendations we deliver—and helps transform businesses. We offer competitive compensation, medical, dental, long and short term disability, a 401k match and more.
Frank N. Magid Associates, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Frank N. Magid Associates, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.