Magid is disrupting our own industry with our approach to data gathering, analysis and analytical tool-building. Do you know the nitty-gritty of how to use data to make a case? If so, we need you to be a part of it! EmotionalDNATM: discarded old assumptions about what market research can and cannot do, and now we’re providing data-driven guidance for the critical issues facing our clients. EmotionalDNATM is applicable whenever people care about what they consume… and that covers a lot of territory! Currently we have a heavy, but not exclusive, concentration in entertainment and we are building out other areas with high potential.
A LITTLE ABOUT YOU
- Topics in the realm of psychology, sociology, economics, political science, cultural studies and entertainment intrigue you.
- You enjoy finding insights by combining subject matter expertise with quantitative insights.
- You don’t necessarily have every skill or experience mentioned in this job description, but you have a lot of them and are eager to get experience in the ones you don’t have.
- You want to take initiative and you want to work collaboratively as part of a team.
THE PERSON IN THIS POSITION
- Works directly with senior research staff, contributing to groundbreaking research and analysis that solves client challenges at the highest levels.
- Passionate about finding and communicating valuable insights from complex data sets
- Ability to identify new business opportunities from the data and collaborates with sales team in developing a pitch
- Is involved in creating tools that enable researchers to do more and do better
- Gain expertise in our EmotionalDNATM product
- Implement creative additions to analysis and tools
- Absorb the analytical and/or app development load
- Design and implement newly identified capabilities for our apps
- Support research projects and their analyses as needed
- Create reporting capabilities that enable others to do more, faster (for example with RMarkdown, Shiny dashboards, etc.)
- Deploy reproducible reporting both for EmotionalDNATM and for other areas of Magid where it makes sense
- Build/maintain/update/document Magid’s R packages
- Participate in regular code review
- R programming (not solely analytical) experience (Minimum 1.5 years)
- Applied quantitative reporting/analysis, not necessarily in R: 1.5 years
- Understanding of basic database query syntax
- Proficiency with basic statistics, regression techniques, etc.
- Visualization experience, preferably including R/ggplot
- Familiarity with messy, human-generated data and the patience to deal with it
NICE TO HAVES (BUT NOT HARD REQUIREMENTS)
- Experience consulting on and presenting research about some realm of human behavior
- Machine learning, such as Random Forests, Dimension Reduction, etc.
- Social programming experience (e.g. git), RMarkdown/knitr/reproducible reporting/dplyr
- Entertainment research experience
- Experience creating shiny applications
- You’ve written an R package (not necessarily publicly available)
- Masters degree preferred, depending on experience.
WORKING CONDITIONS OR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
This job operates in a professional office environment in Sherman Oaks, CA. The person in this position is expected to be in the office most days. Occasional travel may be necessary to other Magid offices (mostly NYC) or to clients. The eDNA team will be expanding over the next 12 months and currently consists of four team members. This team partners closely with the Global Media and Entertainment Group with 21 team members
Send letter of application and resume to: email@example.com
Magid has a long legacy of helping thousands of global brands in over 40 countries become an essential part of people’s lives. We pride ourselves on challenging ourselves and our clients to “courageous thinking” and strive to be influential and indispensable to our clients Standing on 60 years of industry-defining service, we’re grounded by a rare combination of tailor-made research, a deep understanding of human behavior and operational expertise. Our relentless focus on bringing all three elements to every engagement is what drives the actionable recommendations we deliver—and helps transform businesses. We offer competitive compensation, medical, dental, long and short-term disability, 401k and more.
Frank N. Magid Associates, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Frank N. Magid Associates, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.